Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My Take on Grammar


            Grammar is something that changes from decade to decade. Much of what is written now would have shocked the people of the 1900s. Should we stick to the “proper” forms of grammar, or open our doors to new and improved ways of writing?
            A great fun fact is that the reason for many of the grammar rules that have existed, and then died a horrible death, is because many of the people who had their hand in standardizing the English language wanted to model it after Latin. However, English is not Latin by any means and created these crazy rules that did not allow English’s true Anglo-Saxon roots flow.
            Truthfully, I tend to lean towards the traditional ways of grammar. I absolutely love the Oxford comma, otherwise known as the serial comma, but I know that it is not used in many forms of writing such as AP format and the journalism field.
            The Grammar Girl book is fabulous; it presents grammar in a way that is not intimidating to someone who might not have a need to take an excess of grammar classes in school. I appreciate her “quick and dirty tips”; however, I feel that some are just laziness.
            That is completely my opinion! When I am writing in a formal voice I hold myself to a much higher standard. I tend to overdue my grammar so I have the option of pulling it back if I want.
            I think Grammar Girl has a valid point; much of our grammar is insane and learning these quick tips will help us in a pinch, but I do not think it is a substitute for the real thing.
            Grammar needs to be taught every year, during every grade, no exceptions, no matter what subject you will go on to study. I think my last class all about grammar was freshmen year of high school, and I can tell you this much: freshmen are never masters at anything except making mistakes. 
            I remember being in high school and wondering why all my papers had “comma splice” written all over it. I had no idea what a comma splice was and my teacher did not go over it. It wasn't until I looked it up and taught myself proper usage that I began to use commas correctly.

            Just remember that grammar has areas that based on the style of the writer. Be creative and let the words flow! 

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on trusting your own style. There are lots of optional grammar rules that require the writer to trust their gut and write what sounds best to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the tips incredibly useful, but agree that Grammar Girl does not cover everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that one of the main reasons why grammar rules have become less formal might have to do with the increasing amount of writing that occurs online. Consequently, the line between formal and casual writing becomes blurred. For example, social media is a conversational medium but businesses still rely on social media to post professional content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grammar Girl is definitely written for just a quick, general improvement with grammar knowledge. You're right, when it comes to deep knowledge or proper grammar, this book might not do the trick. But I think the Internet would read a lot nicer if everyone had to keep this book with them as they were commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely agree with your idea about having grammar classes every year, it certainly would have helped me out.

    ReplyDelete