Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Life After UNHM

Truthfully, I am not a big-picture type of girl. I tend to live in the "now" and only really worry about the future when the situation calls for it. I know that since my senior year is close (oh geeze) I have to begin to think about what my life will look like after my UNH Manchester days.

I would love to work for a company and their social media. I have been exposed to the power of social media recently, both through my experiences in my various jobs and classes that I am currently taking. It would be really great to just spend all day posting to Facebook or Twitter, managing these sites, and tracking trends and visitors.

Some people have heard me say that, way back in high school, all I wanted to do what learn physics and be an astronomer. I
just wanted to star gaze all day, find planets, and discover this unknown expanse we have above us. Now, with all my journalism interests, I would rather write about those discoveries. Not that making those discoveries wouldn't be cool too, I just work better with text on paper.

I see myself writing. Writing all the time, no matter what the subject is or the time of day. I would be this guy to the right...seriously. I write for fun normally, so I can not imagine my time outside of UNH Manchester spent any other way.

Of course, I see myself with a job (how would I support my crazy writing hobby?). But, I am aware that the field I chose to go into is not always promising.

As you can see, I am all over the place. One sure-fire way to get me to ramble is to ask me "where do you see yourself in five years?" I tend to "go with the flow"; my plans in the past, when they failed, failed horribly and I received emotional whiplash from that. I have learned that planning is not always the best thing, especially when you set things in stone.

I do plan, don't get me wrong, but I tend not to make concrete ones. For example, saying "I want to get into BU graduate programs and nothing else" is a concrete plan, but saying "I want to get into a graduate program" allows for shifts and changes within your life style.

I know that my time at UNH Manchester is limited, but I hope my experiences here will help shape what I want to do after.

No comments:

Post a Comment